Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Need recommendations for pneumatic construction stapler

On 3/18/2018 1:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 1:47:19 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/17/2018 10:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What's a "rot board"? Just a spacer to keep the picket off the
ground?

Damn that was a quick answer! Thanks!!!

(Grin)

I don't know where you live, but you're at least the 3rd person, myself including, that never
heard of a rot board. I live where it rains and snows and have seen lots of wooden fences.
Even put one around my yard many years ago.

Never heard of a rot board until it was mentioned in this thread.

Google, fence rot board and click on images. It is the bottom
horizontal board under the pickets.

I did that a while back, barely seconds after it was first mentioned in this
thread. I was wondering if it was perhaps a localized name for some part of
a fence that I was already familiar with. That was not the case.

When as I saw what it was (and what I actually expected it to be, just
going by the name) I said to myself, "Self, that's not something they do
around my area of the country, at least not to my knowledge."

As soon as the snow melts and I can actually see the bottom of people's
fences, I'll see if maybe it's something I just never noticed or noticed
and never thought about. If I have seen them before, I probably just
thought they were a design feature and never assigned any purpose to them.

Well it is kinda new down here, I do not recall seeing a rot board
before the 90's. Our grass down here easily grows 2~3" taller than the
bottom of the fence and humidity in the mornings is typically 90% so dew
is ever present at sun up. The bottoms of the fences rot quickly, as
cedar pickets aint what they used to be.