Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Building Square Walls On New Construction Sill Plates

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 3:01:04 PM UTC-4, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 03/18/2018 09:41 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/18/2018 9:24 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 03/17/2018 11:40 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
1)Â* You say "large".Â* How large is large?Â* Are we talking a 4000
square foot house or are we talking an airship hangar?Â* Do you have
the approximate dimensions?

I think it's in the 4-6000 sqft range but there are many projects
during the year, so IÂ* can't say with certainty.

2) The foundation isn't level.Â* How far out of level is it?

I am told he sees foundations that routinely are off several inches
from true level.

Call in the pumper people and lift it into position...no need to trim studs!!!

--

Hello, this is Pumper Inc., how may I help you?

Heya, this is Fred The Framer, I need a foundation pumped up a couple inches.

Where is it?

Well, you fly about 6 hours inland. Then you drive over a "road" built 60 years
ago with absolutely no maintenance - bring an extra couple tires, cuz you'll need
them. Then, you go down a 30 degree pitch with a muddy bottom, cross a small river
... you can miss us. We're the only site in the area, believe it or not.

Click ...

And what about any of those conditions caused the original foundation to
be uneven? There would be no reason to call Pumper, Inc. if the job was
done right in the first place. Pumper, Inc., just like cutting studs of
different lengths, is just another way of working around around the original
problem.

May we now speculate that it is not possible to get quality foundation crews
to come to the site that you described, therefore "you get what you get"? Is
that the bottom line issue?

It sounds like you got a framer who cares, but what about roofers?
Electricians? Plumbers? Are quality trades available for all other
aspects of the build? Are foundations the only part of the build that
no one knows how (or is willing) to do correctly?