Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Levels and a level

On 18/03/2018 14:11, David wrote:
Am I in a minority in being unable to set an accurate horizontal level
against a vertical surface like a wall using a spirit level?

There seems to be a degree(?) of variance between just touching and just
past the line for the bubble which seems to be beyond my ability to
discriminate.

Generally if you get the bubble equidistant between the lines you should
be ok.

However keep in mind that looking from an angle can shift the apparent
position a bit - so look straight on.

Also don't assume the level is actually spot on. You should test it from
time to time. (set it level and draw a line on the wall, now flip it
round left to right and repeat - the lines should be perfectly parallel
/ super imposed)

Fall back is measuring up the wall from a flat surface.

How do you know the surface is level?

(although there is an argument that if levelling something close to
another horizontal surface, it often looks better to copy any error in
it rather than fix it)

A laser level might help (if I can get the level level, so to speak, which
comes back to the original problem).

The better ones are self levelling - you just need to get them roughly
level - the do the rest. (mine flashes the laser if the base unit is
more than 4 degrees off level - that being the amount it can self level)

What do the experts do?

See above - or practice with the conventional one until you get
comfortable with it ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.