Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_3_] Dan Espen[_3_] is offline

Default Contractors Cost to Replace 20 Spalled Chimney Bricks??

Arnie Goetchius writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
Arnie Goetchius writes:

I have a chimney that has about 200 bricks of which about 20 are
spalled. What can I expect a contractor to charge (ballpark) to
replace the 20 spalled bricks. Location is Central NJ

To get a rough idea, estimate job time and material cost.

My not so educated guess is 2 guys all day for a job like that.
Not sure about typical rates, but maybe $100/hr.

Bricks are pretty cheap unless you have something unusual.
Google says .50 a brick.

So maybe $1700.

Thanks for the rough idea. As this is a two story house with most of the bricks to be replaced
closer to the top of the chimney, I would assume that scaffolding would have to be used so that
would increase the cost by 10% or 20% or so?

Set up, tear down, rental on the scaffolds, add another day at least.
Might double the cost. It's harder to do the work climbing up and down.

--
Dan Espen