View Single Post
  #20   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Say Good Bye to the Hitachi Name

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 20:10:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

By sale price on Festool I mean every vendor is free to sell the tool at a different price. Today every online seller, and every store in person sells every Festool for the exact same price. No one varies that price by $1 or $10 or $25. All exactly the same. I know Festool has reduced prices sort of when you combine a vacuum and big tool. Or a track saw and a track. Price is less than if you bought each item separately. But that is not what I am talking about when I say sale price. And all of these combination prices are the exact same with every single retailer. No one varies the bundled price by even $1. All are required, instructed by Festool to sell every single Festool tool at the prescribed MSRP that Festool states. In contrast, do a Google search for a Makita or DeWalt SCMS. You will have 20 Amazon vendors selling the saws for 20 different prices. And clicking on various Google links will turn up 25 other vendors all with different prices for the same SCMS. With
Festool, every Kapex is sold for the exact same price no matter who or where you buy it. No freedom for the vendor to distinguish based on price.

Just imagine if GM or Ford or Fiat told every car dealer selling their brand that they will only sell the cars/trucks for the price on the sticker. No dickering, no bargaining with customers. If you do then your car dealer lot will be closed before the sun sets and every car will be taken back and you will be sued in court.

You mean like Saturn and Tesla were "closed before the sun sets and
every car taken back and sued in court"?

I'm guessing this is illegal in the USA for cars. But somehow its
allowed for tools.

It is not illegal for a manufacturer to require resellers to charge a
specific price for a product. What is illegal is for manufacturers to
get together and decide that they are _all_ going to charge the same
price for a kind of product.