Posted to alt.home.repair
Dove Tail Dove Tail is offline

Default gas oven diagnostic help, please

On 3/15/2018 at 3:18:24 PM, Chip C wrote:

I have a BlueStar gas range, six burners, oven+broiler, all gas. A
few days ago the oven quit working: the pilot light comes on but
there is no igniter heat or gas flow at any position of the oven
control knob, including broil.

A bit of googling and we figured it was the igniter. I had the
igniter fail in my boiler a while ago so I was familiar with this.

The old igniter has a cold resistance of over 300 ohms; when the oven
knob is on, 120 V appears across it but no current flows (I have a
clamp ammeter). Got a replacement igniter, cold resistance is about
50 ohms.

But it still doesn't work. There's still 120 V across the igniter but
still no current flows. The igniter doesn't heat and the gas valve
doesn't open. Obviously at 50 ohms it should be passing 2.4 amps and
generating 280+ Watts, at least until it warms up.

So there's some other very high resistance in the circuit--but I do
see 120 V so it's not a broken wire.

Is the gas valve the next likely culprit?

The gas valve is a dual design that combines the oven and the broiler
controls into one block. I cannot tell if these functions are
inter-wired, except that the broiler doesn't work either, so perhaps
they are. I never knew whether running the broiler also lit the
bottom burner.

Any advice appreciated,

Check the gas safety valve, see this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RZtxSvOe-U

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"