Mike

Default Bad odor coming from expansion joint around interior wall of home

This may sound crazy,

Are you the original owner of the home, and if not, did the previous
owner have cats? They love corners, and usually have a favorite one.

"John Hughes" wrote in message
om...
I have a single story home with a floating slab (I believe it is
called) surrounded by an expansion joint (cardboardish material) which
is then surrounded by the stem wall. I have a musty odor which
appears to be coming from the expansion joint between the stem wall
and concrete base/slab of the home. I have removed the baseboards and
so I have a better view of the area. The odor is musty, someting
similar to an old basement I think. The expansion joint appears it
may have been torn up or decayed in some areas (possible from moisture
or poor construction?). There are also some gaps between the
expansion joint and slab, which are up to 1/4 inch wide. The odor is
only coming from one room in the house and it is difficult to pinpint
exactly where the smell is coming from (perhaps it is from all along
the wall). It appears most pronounced in the corner of the room where
there may be some missing expansion joint. There is about one foot of
stem wall showing outside the house and there are no apparent cracks
in the stem wall. Outside the all there is a drip irrigation system
which has been turned off for 2 weeks and I still get the odor (I
thought it might be seeping into the concrete stem wall, up the wall
and into the expansion area). However it is possible the odor is also
coming from an adjacent room (much less odor though) which has no
irriation system near it.

Can I use a silicone based caulk and to caulk around the expansion
joint as a test to see if the odor goes away? What are some other
options?

Please do NOT email me as this is my spam email account. Thank you.