Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oiling a bearing.

The rear wiper motor on the old car failed in a cloud of smoke the other
day. The motor had been replaced a few years ago with a NOS one, so not
had that much use.

It's a very easy thing to strip down being an oldish design, and on doing
so obvious the motor had seized. And seemed to be the bearing on the far
end of the motor from the brushes. It is a self aligning plain bearing -
with a single ball the middle of the shaft to take the thrust.

A new motor isn't a vast price, but since it will be from the same NOS
source, may well have dried out in storage of some 30 years.

So to the question. Is there a best oil to use for this, and how to soak
the bearing bush? I'm assuming it is a porous type which soaks up oil.

The other end of the motor goes into the gearbox. Which has grease in it.
Perhaps some of that finds its way into the front motor bearing, as that
seemed OK.

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.