Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Water softener systems

On 13/03/2018 12:30, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 04:29:46 UTC, FredxxÂ* wrote:
On 12/03/18 19:56, Fredxx wrote:

Books about imaginary entities have less basis on science than
magnetic effect on water and the precipitation of carbonates.

I don't expect you like being told that either.

This is just one recent paper that is a peer reviewed publication
from a University, there are loads of others.
Â*Â* https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28923745

Perhaps you should be equally open to the likelihood that god
doesn't exist; where beliefs of the existence that father
christmas, and the like, are akin to snake oil too?
Thes days when I hearÂ* 'peer reviewed publication' and I find in
it the words 'alternative eco-friendly' I just switch off. Whatever
happened to actual real investigative science?

Some mock the concept of a peer reviewed article, others believe they
represent greater credibility than claims made in pubs or even
newsgroups.

YMMV

The concept is a goodish one. Unfortunately IRL it doesn't mean a lot,
since
the peer review process of weeding out the bad research mostly does
not work.
I wish it did. In practice people seldom criticise even the most
outrageous
crp because they don't want their research trashed in return. It's about
careers/money first, not science first.

See also:

Â*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_drop_experiment

in particular the last para before the References. People are people,
and 100 years ago were no different to today when it came to
confirmation bias.

Yeah and Mendel cheated with his pea experiments.

--
Max Demian