Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Replacing copper HW tank.

On 12/03/2018 18:10, Michael Chare wrote:
On 12/03/2018 10:54, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Now that the weather is warming up, I'm considering replacing our HW
storage tank (it's about 30 years old, and is getting a bit crusty
around some of the pipe connectors).Â* Before I do, I suppose I ought
to ask if (in everyone's opinion) I should just replace it
like-for-like? Or is there some other direction I ought to be heading
in, like mains-pressure hot water, or just using instant hot-water
taps everywhere instead?Â* Or something else?

I replaced my hot water tank with one that came covered with 2" of foam
which I then painted. Much better than the previous jacket. I like
having an immersion heater as a backup in case my boiler is not working.

I did get something for the old copper tank, based on weight a lot of
which was crud.

Another neighbour who fell for the BG 'No parts' scam had their
baxi bermuda replaced by a WB Junior ??12RI. Wife decided that
they 'needed' a new tank with more insulation and the one used
seemed to have about 4 inches of foam. It only just fitted through
the airing cupboard door afaik.

They also had a fancy wireless stat that has been replaced three
times. BG say it is their fault because they opted out of the
£12 per month 'option' to allow BG to dial in and reset it
remotely !. BG claim that this boiler won't work with a conventional
room stat. This I think is pork-pies.