Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Replacing copper HW tank.

On 12/03/2018 10:54, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Now that the weather is warming up, I'm considering replacing our HW
storage tank (it's about 30 years old, and is getting a bit crusty
around some of the pipe connectors).Â* Before I do, I suppose I ought to
ask if (in everyone's opinion) I should just replace it like-for-like?
Or is there some other direction I ought to be heading in, like
mains-pressure hot water, or just using instant hot-water taps
everywhere instead?Â* Or something else?

Mine is the houses original tank from 1976 and there is
nothing wrong with it.

Is this a case of 'it aint broke so why fix it' ?,
especially since you are only contemplating a
like-for-like swap. If there is space and you have
the possibility of some form of solar panel too
(and are young enough to get any financial benefit)
then a larger tank that has dual heating coils might
be worthwhile upgrade, but do the maths.

Are your joists strong enough to support a much larger
tank, something that people don't consider ?.

More information would help like :-

Age and size of property
Number of people and age
Number of bathrooms and distance from hot tank.
Type of heating appliance.