Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default LED wattage

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 12:00:12 -0000, NY wrote:

wrote in message
Any LED is fine if the fitting is open & well vented. In a closed fitting,
LEDs of same light output have a greatly reduced life due to overheating.

I have a Philips Hue bulb in the light beside my bed: a bare fitting in a
table lamp, with no shade.

The light part of the bulb gets barely warm. The base gets fairly hot: it's
bareable for 10 seconds but after that it starts to become a bit too hot to
tolerate.

And that's with no shade around it, so best-case cooling. It's rated 10 W /
70 mA / 810 lumen. And that's for maximum brightness at a fairly neutral
white.

That's a fairly inefficient lamp - or the glowing bit is very efficient and
the electronics aren't.
I noticed (couple of years ago) that Ikea's LED lamps, even base down, were
hot enough to burn within a few seconds. I've some here that get up to about
40 - 50 deg. eventually, even in a shade.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away