Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default LED wattage

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 15:05:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, 12 March 2018 20:06:40 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
newshound writes:
On 12/03/2018 18:50, Scott wrote:

Can I take it that where a lamp or shade states a maximum wattage,
this is for incandescent bulbs

yes

and any LED will be okay (on the basis
that LEDs use so much less power),

no. LEDs are not heat tolerant.

or is the light intensity likely to
be an issue liable to cause fading?

you jest

Remember that LEDs don't like the bases containing the electronics to
get too warm (this will shorten the life). The devil is in the detail.

To a first approximation, if it's rated 100W filament lamp, it will
be suitable for 100W equivalent CFL or LED, even though these actual
wattages are very different. However, it depands entirely on the
ventilatiom, and if you are happy for a shortened lamp life, which
is a comprise I'll often take.

Any LED is fine if the fitting is open & well vented. In a closed fitting, LEDs of same light output have a greatly reduced life due to overheating.

Very helpful. Mind is in a globe (bathroom light) but it is quite a
big globe. I won't go overboard with output..