Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott M Scott M is offline

Default Microwave repair

Andy Burns wrote:

I realise the dangers from the capacitor until discharged, and the
beryllium oxide bits, and presume that making sure it's well and truly
back together before powering it back on avoids any trouble from
tripping the interlocks.

That said I expect to be able to get at the turntable motor/gearbox
without going near the "active" end ... any other gotchas?

IMO, the danger from microwave HV PSUs is a little overstated and little
different to CRTs and the common sense needed.

I was once given an expensive combi job to mend and to test it was
magnetron failure I plugged the magnetron into a £30 Argos one to check
it was still duff (it was.) While fiddling in both I measured the
voltage on the HV caps and they discharged *very* quickly. I think there
were some fairly obvious resistors in parallel.

YMMV, naturally.

--
Scott