Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Isolation transformer in place of a GFCI

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 9:41:38 AM UTC-4, Terry Schwartz wrote:

Disagree. A much better choice is to remove the lighting and replace with a low voltage string, or a solar/battery powered string, or eliminate it all together.

By low voltage, I don't mean a modern string of LED lights. I mean a transformer isolated 12v system. The transformer should still be on a GFCI circuit.

120V above the pool area is just foolish and dangerous.

The pool pump motor may not like being on a GFCI. Often, inductive motor loads will trip them under a heavy load such as startup or near stall. In that case, the GFCI will work better back at the load center (circuit breaker panel) where the inductance of the wiring does not compound the problem. I just dealt with this last summer on a boat lift circuit.

Terry

Of course. But if 120 VAC must be used, a GFCI devices is the only valid choice.

We feed our hot-tubs from a 50A GFCI safety switch in a dry location away from the hot-tub, but not near the main panel. It is easily reached from the outside as well.