Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Terry Schwartz Terry Schwartz is offline

Default Isolation transformer in place of a GFCI

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 7:48:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
An isolation transformer does not guard against electrocution if one inserts one's self into the circuit. All it does is isolate the primary from the secondary such that for that circuit, the secondary side is isolated from ground. A GFCI device is the _only_ valid choice in this situation.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Disagree. A much better choice is to remove the lighting and replace with a low voltage string, or a solar/battery powered string, or eliminate it all together.

By low voltage, I don't mean a modern string of LED lights. I mean a transformer isolated 12v system. The transformer should still be on a GFCI circuit.