Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Microwave repair

While warming up the cup of coffee I'd forgotten to drink, I stood there
noticing the slight break-up on the bluetooth speaker that's right next
to the microwave ... until I noticed something else, the damned
turntable is no longer going round.

Can turn the spindle by hand, and tell that it's quite highly geared,
it's an 8 year old stainless Neff. Since it's built-in and was
difficult to find one to fit, I'd prefer to repair rather than replace.

I realise the dangers from the capacitor until discharged, and the
beryllium oxide bits, and presume that making sure it's well and truly
back together before powering it back on avoids any trouble from
tripping the interlocks.

That said I expect to be able to get at the turntable motor/gearbox
without going near the "active" end ... any other gotchas?

In the majority of cases you don't even have to remove the cover to
replace the turntable motor.
at the bottom of most ovens there is a knock-out hatch that you remove
with a rat-tail file or similar. It has lugs so it can be re-fitted in
a different orientation , they often even supply the self-tapping
screw to secure it parked in a hole.

As for the universality of the synchronous motors, they are usually
the same size and rating, but the spindle length (usually half-round)
can vary.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%