Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Arthur Clive Arthur is offline

Default Replacing copper HW tank.

On 12/03/2018 10:54, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Now that the weather is warming up, I'm considering replacing our HW
storage tank (it's about 30 years old, and is getting a bit crusty
around some of the pipe connectors).Â* Before I do, I suppose I ought to
ask if (in everyone's opinion) I should just replace it like-for-like?
Or is there some other direction I ought to be heading in, like
mains-pressure hot water, or just using instant hot-water taps
everywhere instead?Â* Or something else?

We've had a pressurised hot water system for a few years now. As has
been said, it's relatively complex. The tank is well insulated and
doesn't take much for the boiler to keep the temperature up when the
water's not being used. Generally, we're very pleased with it - in our
case it's all in the cellar (the 'plant room' as the installer called it
because it sounds better than 'coal hole') and doesn't take up any
otherwise useful room.

The downside is that you can only get out the flow that you can put in.
In our case, that means that you can't have two showers at once, or have
a shower while the bath is running. If that's an issue for you, don't
do it.

Cheers
--
Clive