Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin

In article ,
On 2018-03-09, Vir Campestris
wrote:
On 07/03/2018 12:09, mechanic wrote:
Didn't you have difficulty in creating OO structures in assembly?

None whatsoever. Because we didn't try.

Systems programming isn't like ordinary DP.

I still remember adding up instruction cycle times to make sure we
weren't running too long with interrupts disabled (*). OO? WTF's
that? )

(Rhetorical question. I know perfectly well what OO is.)

(* In device drivers under RSX11/M on a PDP11. Yes, it was a long
time ago.)

Back in the days of X.25 packet switches, I wrote some carefully
crafted assembly code which could switch a packet in 127
instructions.
It allowed for the computer's pipeline, performing base register
loads well enough in advance that there was no stall in the indirect
load, generally interleaving two separate functions in alternate
instructions.

"You are not expected to understand this."

Why not?

[Whoosh]

https://thenewstack.io/not-expected-...and-explainer/

I even had a T-shirt made with it on, years ago. Gets worn for a certain
lecture.