Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Maplin

In article ,
On 2018-03-09, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 07/03/2018 12:09, mechanic wrote:
Didn't you have difficulty in creating OO structures in assembly?

None whatsoever. Because we didn't try.

Systems programming isn't like ordinary DP.

I still remember adding up instruction cycle times to make sure we weren't
running too long with interrupts disabled (*). OO? WTF's that? )

(Rhetorical question. I know perfectly well what OO is.)

(* In device drivers under RSX11/M on a PDP11. Yes, it was a long time ago.)

Back in the days of X.25 packet switches, I wrote some carefully
crafted assembly code which could switch a packet in 127 instructions.
It allowed for the computer's pipeline, performing base register loads
well enough in advance that there was no stall in the indirect load,
generally interleaving two separate functions in alternate instructions.

"You are not expected to understand this."

Why not?

Next you'll be saying you don't understand Meltdown and Spectre :P

Andy