Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Torch - Cree - Ultrafire 14500

On 10/03/2018 13:57, DerbyBorn wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

I have had a small torch for a few years that took either a AA cell or
a Ultrafire YF 14500 (3.7v).(I think I ordered the torch, batteries
and charger together) Recently I mislaid it and ordered another off
EBay.

It arrived today - marked HWA-WYS Ultrafire. and CREE. Looks identical
to original (Focussing lens)

Tested it with a conventional AA and it was fine - cautiously tried it
with the 3.7v which has been fine on the original - it caused the
light to flash on and off. Is this some pretection mode for being
over-volt?

Damn - just found a review on Youtube and realise that it has a "Strobe
Function" The review confirms the battery is ok.

I have several that strobe sometimes; usually cleared by turning off and
on. But there is no *obvious" button press sequence to select one or the
other. I can see the case for strobe for cyclists or emergency lights,
but they make little sense on torches, to my mind. I *used* to think
this were a sign of low battery, but it doesn't seem to be on my newer ones.