Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If you have a diesel car, look out.

On 11/03/18 08:51, RJH wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Tim Watts wrote:
But no particulates.

What particulates? All modern diesel cars have DPF filters.

Many of which don't work.

The essence of the scientific evidence is, I think, that DPFs are
effective at filtering the larger soot particles, but not finer
particles (pollution maps including PMM estimates support this).

Variables include where regeneration takes place (town/country), and
effectiveness of the PDF (from presence to technology; pre-2007 are
worse), and what harm is being done.

All that is known is that deaths related to respiratory illness have
gone up. Research suggests a strong link with diesel:

http://news.mit.edu/2017/volkswagen-emissions-premature-deaths-europe-0303

That's NOx (which is produced by petrol engines too) - I don't see any
mention of soot particulates that a DPF will catch.

Â*and this little lot (from Doctors Against Diesel):

Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution, The Royal
College of Physicians, Royal College of Paediatric and Child health
(2016), available at:
http://www.ippr.org/files/publicatio...f?noredirect=1

NOx again.

Understanding the Health Impacts of Air Pollution in London,Â* Kings
College London (2015) available at:
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/lsm/research/d...72015final.pdf

That does mention PMs - but doesn't seem to address whether DPFs are
effective or not.

Lethal and Illegal: Solving Londons Air Pollution Crisis, Institute of
Public Policy Research (2016)Â* Available at:
http://www.ippr.org/files/publicatio...df?noredirect=

NOx

And this site seems to be on a mission: https://www.theicct.org/

I haven't found much evidence supporting the continued use of diesel.
Even the SMT are on the fence - at best.

https://www.northeastdiesel.org/pdf/...Ultrafines.pdf

says DPFs can remove PMs - 0.02um (PM2.5 refers to 2.5um)