Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default If you have a diesel car, look out.

On 10-Mar-18 9:33 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
wrote:

On 10-Mar-18 5:13 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
wrote:

So, do what they have done in numerous city abroad - ban cars that
don't or can't display a sticker showing they comply with a minimum
emissions standard.

So who gets the sticker? A given model or cars which, individually,
pass the standard?

Germany does it by the Euro class of the model.

Regardless, then, of whether the vehicle itself actually passes that
standard.

As in Britain, German cars have to pass a roadworthiness check and I
presume that, as with the MOT, an analysis of the exhaust gases would be
part of the test.

These days I check the vehicle in front carefully to see whether
there's diesel smoke being emitted, and turn on the recirc if so.
What's amazing is the proportion of recent-plate vehicles falling into
that category.

Visible smoke has long been prohibited by the vehicle construction and
use regulations and would result in an MOT failure. It is far more
likely to be steam, particularly in cold weather. I only set the air to
recirculate if I can smell the car in front, but that is more likely to
be a 20 year old + petrol engined car.

Colin Bignell