Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Maintenance free whole house generators?

On 3/10/2018 8:45 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
Here in Brooklyn the wires are underground. But where my elderly mom lives
in NJ there are frequent power outages. She got her power back for about a
day, and it is out again.

Of course she would put in a natural gas generator. But what I learned
tonight is they require checking the oil level twice a day with a dipstick.
And adding oil. This would be beyond what she can do. Are all generators
like this? Are there ones that can run for two weeks with no maintenance?

Twice a day seems a lot but I guess 12 hours on a small engine can use
it up. Is there a neighbor than can do the checks? I'd think most any
teenager can handle ir.