Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If you have a diesel car, look out.

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 22:06:31 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/03/18 21:36, tabbypurr wrote:

Do not suddenly say "oh, we've decided this is crap, you all can get rid
of the cars that last week we were telling to you buy"

Sorry but you're being far too sensible. No politician will ever agree. Messing with people creating unnecessary costs for no valid reason is compulsory with politicians.

It's not exactly hard:

Cars have a lifespan of what, 15 years on average? That's 15 years you
need to plan ahead[1]. the problem can be managed ahead of the curve
without penalising anyone.

Unless you are a knee jerk idiot of a politician of course!

there's the problem. So it will all pointlessly cost the country billions.

[1] A small proportion of vehicles will last (or be made to last) longer
than this - the percentage being small enough to make no difference -
like the numbers of 1960s cars on the road today. Saw a Morris Minor
1000 Traveller earlier. Who cares if it's not very environmentally
friendly - it was one out of a 1000.