Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If you have a diesel car, look out.

On 10/03/2018 15:13, NY wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
* ARW wrote:
On 10/03/2018 12:22, NY wrote:

My car is coming up to 10 years old and is starting to cost fir
repairs
to the anti pollution system. I will be gutted when eventually have to
get rid if it and replace it with a petrol which is gutless and has a
noisy high revving engine (unless I get a powerful engine).

I would love to go back to a petrol engine.

If you want a small petrol engine that pulls like a diesel find one
with a
turbo or supercharger. It's that which makes the difference.

If you really want to define gutless, think of older small diesels before
turbos became the norm.

True. The very first diesel I drove was a Golf many years ago. It didn't
have much pull. It was no match for my 1.8 petrol Golf.

The first I drove (a Fiesta 1.6D) beat almost anything from a standing
start, but struggled to accelerate once above 30mph.

SteveW