Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Makita 55" track saw with a tail

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 13:42:24 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/10/2018 1:21 PM, wrote:
On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 11:45:14 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:
This saw gets a lot of bad reviews on the Home Depot web site. I might be able to get a good deal on this model, but it sounds like the rails are flimsy and the saw is underpowered. Does anyone have any experience with this saw? Thanks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...00J1/204338179

The same Festool combination is $590, with the 55" guide rail. Festool has 10 amps while this Makita has 12 amps. So I'd be skeptical of any power comparisons. My Festool is plenty strong and good for cutting through 3/4" plywood and other thin hardwood. Have not tried it on 2+" hardwood, maximum depth. So its good and strong and works perfectly well for me. Your link shows $409 price for the Makita setup. For a $181 difference, I'm not sure I would "risk" going with the less well known Makita, that may or may not work with other Festool tools. But if your price is quite a bit less than the stated $409 price, then I'd probably give it a go.

Food for thought if considering the Festool set up. The TS 55 with a
55" track costs $690. $590 WITH OUT the track.

The larger TS 75 with a 75" track costs $820. That is $130 more than
the TS 55 with 55" track.

If you want to rip 8 foot long sheets of plywood you need to add a 75"
fence to the TS 55 combination or a 55" track to the TS 75 combination,
plus the two union bars to hold the tracks together.

The 55" track costs $145.00. The 75" track costs $225.00.

If you add the cost of the TS 55 combo plus the cost of the 75" track
you have a total of $915 for both tracks and saw.

If you add the cost of the TS 75 combo plus the cost of the 55" track
you have a total of $965 for both tracks and saw.

Basically you need both tracks to cut 96". The Larger TS 75 is only $50
more expensive than the TS 55 with the same track configurations.

A few weeks ago I was plunge cutting through 4 stacks of 1/2" birch, 2"
thick, veneer 9 ply plywood to build the work bench saw horses. I did
this with my TS 75 and a section of track.

If I were to buy now, I'd definitely buy the TS75. While the TS55 has
cut through everything I've wanted to cut, it does seem a little
underpowered. I'd rather have the newer imperial gauge, too, but it's
not worth $600 to get. ;-)