Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If you have a diesel car, look out.

On 10/03/18 15:36, NY wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

NY wrote:

I'm not sure what is is about compression-ignition that produces
higher NOx
than spark ignition.

Im pretty sure its just down to cylinder pressure and consequent
combustion temperature.

Nitrogen is pretty inert but the hotter you heat it the more NOx you get,
petrol or diesel.Â* Diesels just have a bit of a head start on the
combustion pressure/temperature.

Ah, for some reason I'd always thought that diesel engines ran a lot
cooler than petrol engines. Higher pressure but lower combustion
temperature. Evidently not.

they are more eficient so ythe actual engine block is likely to run
cooler BUT not the combustion chanmber itself

private property.

Karl Marx