Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default If you have a diesel car, look out.

"ARW" wrote in message
In article ,
NY wrote:
I wish electrics had advanced where they had the same 700 mile range

You'll actually drive 700 miles without a stop? Even at 70 mph, that is
10
hours solid driving. Most would expect to stop at least once in that time
for a comfort break and likely a meal. So could re-fuel then.

And if not doing a long journey silly to carry around a large amount of
fuel.

Do cars exist that will do 700 miles at 70MPH on one tank of fuel?

Yes. My Pug 308 1.6 HDi will do about 750 miles on a 60-litre tank at 70.
The fuel economy is better at a steady 70 than at a variable 30-60 on
single-carriageway roads. (OK, it's better still at a steady 50!).

I've never actually done 750 miles because I've always made sure I refuel
while there's still a bit of fuel left in the tank. But I did a 700 mile
journey (250 miles from old house to new one, then a break then 250 back to
the old one, then part of the way back to the new house - while transporting
things while we were moving house) and the trip computer was still
estimating another 50 miles left in the tank. That was almost all on
motorways or dual carriageways.