Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Common Hardwood Floor Wood

On 3/4/18 8:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Clare Snyder wrote in
:

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 17:52:15 -0500, Meanie wrote:

I plan to finish my stairs this summer (remove carpet and add treads &
risers) and want to match my hardwood floor at bottom of stairs (main
floor). I'm far from an expert at identifying wood species but think my
hardwood floors are red oak. I do know when I had the floors redone
years ago they use a honey maple stain. The home was built in 1949, what
type of wood do you think they would have used?

Here is a picture I took of an item on the floor which may help
identify. Disregard the item.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Thank you

From the colour and grain I'd say, better than 90% it is maple.

Nonsense. This doesn't even remotely resembly maple. It's red oak.

Agreed, the slat furthest to the right shows the QS flecks.

-BR