Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Makita 55" track saw with a tail

On 3/9/2018 11:45 PM, Michael wrote:
This saw gets a lot of bad reviews on the Home Depot web site. I might be able to get a good deal on this model, but it sounds like the rails are flimsy and the saw is underpowered. Does anyone have any experience with this saw? Thanks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...00J1/204338179

FWIW the tracks on all of the brands are relatively thin around, IIRC
5mm. and the longer they are the more flippy they feel. To rip a
standard piece of plywood length wise you need greater than 8 feet. The
saw needs to plunge before you push into the wood. I have a 75" and a
55" track that I use together for this purpose. I am very careful with
the unit when both are in that configuration. So the flimsy feel may
just be an inherent trait that new users need to get used to dealing with.

The under powered thing may also be a perception of being under powered.
The Makita saw is variable speed. If it's anything like the Festool saw
it too sounds under powered. The Festool as well as perhaps the Makita
monitors blade speed and constantly adjusts and you can hear that going on.

Keep in mind also that you are looking at a relatively small circular
saw. Many may be expecting too much out of it.

I guess the question is are the users unfamiliar with the saw's
characteristics or are the claims legit. If legit I would keep looking.

Are you looking at new? What is the return policy. Some brand track
saws give you a 30 money back guarantee.