Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default Cheapo Chinese Dash-cams

On 09/03/18 02:39, Nick Odell wrote:
Does anybody have any first-hand experience of cheap Chinese Dash Cams?

On paper the specifications seem very good but there must be something
that justifies the very much higher prices of the branded alternatives.

It's not for myself - it's intended as a not-too-expensive gift for
somebody else. But however not-too-expensive it is, I don't want to be
unfortunate enough to give them a turkey.

I had/have a 'mini803', not that cheap (~£80 in 2013). It worked well
enough for a year or two but has become increasingly unreliable. It
randomly switches off, on never switches on. Reformating the memory card
or even re-flashing the software fixed it for a while, but it has got
progressively worse.
The problem with these things is partly the car environment: sitting
just under the windscreen they get overheated on sunny days, in winter
there is humidity and cold. But it is not impossible to make the
electronics robust, but it would add to the cost. More significantly it
would require a bit more care at the design stage, and that applies even
more to the software. The rush to bring out the latest version with the
'improved' higher res chip seems to cause all these brandless
manufacturers to cut corners. The software is never stable before they
move on to the next version.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.