Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheapo Chinese Dash-cams

On 09/03/18 02:39, Nick Odell wrote:
Does anybody have any first-hand experience of cheap Chinese Dash Cams?

On paper the specifications seem very good but there must be something
that justifies the very much higher prices of the branded alternatives.

It's not for myself - it's intended as a not-too-expensive gift for
somebody else. But however not-too-expensive it is, I don't want to be
unfortunate enough to give them a turkey.

Thanks,

Nick

My first one didn't cycle the video files. Once the micro SD card was
full, the dashcam stopped recording.

The second one, a Z-Edge Z1 is much better.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Z-Edge-Dashboard-2304x1296-G-sensor-Superior/dp/B01I4EIS4S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520589280&sr=8-5&keywords=z-edge+dashcam&dpID=41MtTi5X6SL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&d pSrc=srch

I've now been running it for 17 months, and it's working well. Ii does
hang down a bit lower than the rectangular-shaped cameras (the Z1 is
almost square), but I can live with that as I keep the sunscreen down
most of the time anyway. I did try it on the left-hand side of the
windscreen, but the wipers don't clean the screen there! The suction
fitting is starting to play up a bit (sun ageing?), and I find it best
to push it hard against the screen before pulling the locking arm down
(by itself the locking arm doesn't apply enough suction to keep it on
the screen for more than an hour at best).

--

Jeff