Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Burning logs in open fires

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 07:04:24 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/03/18 16:54, wrote:
We have a large open fireplace with a cast iron fire basket, but we only
burn logs so I'm considering whether to remove the basket so we can let
a layer of ash build up on the fire brick base and burn on that. Any
comments from those who burn logs in open fires?

if the flue is designed to run with a basket, ou may get smoke escaping
of you lower theh combustion area

I have seen pubs ho have done this raise the thing back with a layer of
bricks..

A lot of problems are caused by insufficient air getting into the room.