Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NatWest - home card reader?

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 16:59:35 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/03/2018 16:39, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 16:23:30 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 07/03/2018 16:13, Tim+ wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 07:35:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 15:03:54 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

Looks to be identical to the Nationwide one apart from the colour of the
plastic and the type of cards it will accept. They are annoyingly brand
specific so you can't just use another banks - it says "wrong card".

Not always. I used my Barclays one yesterday to validate a Lloyds
transaction.
John

They are pin code specific accord
ing to HSBC.

Maybe applies to the HSBC card reader but I can assure you that it makes no
difference which card reader I use to make a Nationwide payment, the
NatWest reader and the Nationwide one work identically when fed with the
same card/PIN.

That one I can test. You are right the Natwest card reader appears to
not be locked to a specific bank. I will experiment more. It was about
to get thrown out since I no longer bank with them either. But now their
card reader would appear to have some utility as being generic.

If google you can find out how to change the pin code if you need to.

I think yours must be different.

The Natwest card reader seems to work with several major UK bank cards
and any valid PIN. It baulks at Santanders cards though.

Santander does use that sort of authenication they use passwords.
When I was with barclays they also seemed to work using the date and time in some way.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown