Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default NatWest - home card reader?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Yesterday evening, I decided to make a transfer from my NatWest
account, to a TSB account, via online banking. A transfer I have never
made before, so it involved setting up a 'new recipient'. I filled in
all the details on the popup panel which appeared, but there was no
visible 'next' or 'accept' button on the panel. It might have been
below the screen, but there was no way to scroll down.

That left me stumped, so I rang their phone banking number. Indian guy
answers who was very difficult to understand, but I explained what I
was trying to do and the place where I was getting stuck. He wittered
on about it couldn't be done, without a home card reader gadget. I then
asked if he could implement the cash transfer for me, first he said no,
not unless I had the reader, then seemed to change his mind.

He managed it by sending a four digit code to my phone, me then reading
the digits back to him.

All very confusing, but it worked in the end. Has anyone heard of
NatWest's card readers?

Um, pretty sure you should have received a home card reader when you set up
online banking. Its a pretty integral part of the security system.

Yes, you can do some stuff without it but my BS (Nationwide, which uses the
same card readers) requires it for setting up new payments.

Why could I not progress with the online
banking, entering a new recipient?

Its just another level of fraud protection. By generating codes that cant
be intercepted it makes it very hard for anyone without both your card,
your card reader and your account log in details to carry out any serious
fraud.

Gullible users and phishing emails make account details and login
names/passwords *relatively* easy to get hold of but without the card and
card reader, a third party accessing your account could only, at worst, pay
someone youve paid before, not transfer funds to a new account.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls