Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Baltic Birch and that outer stuff

On 3/6/2018 5:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 1:46:39 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 11:02 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/5/2018 9:08 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2018 8:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/4/2018 3:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/3/2018 5:03 PM, dpb wrote:
On 3/3/2018 11:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/3/2018 8:57 AM, Brewster wrote:

I'm still amazed at how a tree can be peeled so perfectly like
that. It just don't seem right 8^)

-BR

Yeah, a very sharp knife on a lathe like machine.Â* Little waste!

VERRRRY, VERRRRRRRRRRY sharp, indeed!

And to really boggle your mind, just how sharp are the cutters that
are used for for making "3 ply" plywood that is only 1/64" thick??
That is not even a hair thicker than .005" for each ply, assuming
glue is thinner than that.

https://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ply.htm

Indeed.Â* I've not seen one of the super-thin ply mills but many of
the furniture-grade veneer mills use a rotating squared blank that
isn't spun on its center but rotated like a cam against the knife.
That's cutting flitches for book-matching and the like, not face
sheets like for ply, of course.

--
Wow I would like to see that!

Yeah, too bad when I was doing all that stuff lo! those many years ago
there wasn't such a thing as a cell phone with video capability;

No Kidding

somewhere in the depths of the storage/moving boxes are photos, but
those haven't been unpacked since the move back to the farm in 2000...

I miss analog/film, except for that part. ;~)

I don't miss analog film. I'm doing so much better now than if I had stayed
at the big yellow box. The kick in the butt they gave me (and 60K+ others)
was the best thing they could do for me.

Certain things I do not miss. The cost of film and developing plus
storage. I was talking to a friend the other day and mentioned that I
missed using film. With film you have to think about your shot, it was
going to cost you 15 cents to see the result. And that was 40 years
ago. I only liked shooting slide film. That film was easy to develop
in the kitchen sink and you could immediately see the results with out
having to process further and transfer to paper, like you do with
negative film. I studied light and lenses in college so learning to
shoot a relatively manual SLR and get the effects that I wanted came
pretty easy for me.

Today with digital it is point and shoot a hundred pics. And hope that
a few are keepers. It is letting the camera do more and you doing less.
And shooting fast still leaves you with artifacts and noise on the
point and shooters. I think digital photography is great, but like the
dwindling number of woodworkers, the process is lost. I also used to
play a LOT of golf, 5 days a week when I was in school. I walked and
did not use a golf cart. Today it is hard to find a course, in this
area, that will let you walk. Again, if you can ride to where your ball
ended up you really don't try as much to get a good shot. The better
your shot the less walking in the weeds you do and the fewer balls you
lose. ;~)

They expected film to be their cash cow forever while other imaging companies
were leaving them in the dust. In reality, it was great for me that they were
so stubborn/short sighted.