Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Baltic Birch and that outer stuff

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 1:46:39 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 11:02 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/5/2018 9:08 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2018 8:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/4/2018 3:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/3/2018 5:03 PM, dpb wrote:
On 3/3/2018 11:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/3/2018 8:57 AM, Brewster wrote:

I'm still amazed at how a tree can be peeled so perfectly like
that. It just don't seem right 8^)

-BR

Yeah, a very sharp knife on a lathe like machine.Â* Little waste!

VERRRRY, VERRRRRRRRRRY sharp, indeed!

And to really boggle your mind, just how sharp are the cutters that
are used for for making "3 ply" plywood that is only 1/64" thick??
That is not even a hair thicker than .005" for each ply, assuming
glue is thinner than that.

https://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ply.htm

Indeed.Â* I've not seen one of the super-thin ply mills but many of
the furniture-grade veneer mills use a rotating squared blank that
isn't spun on its center but rotated like a cam against the knife.
That's cutting flitches for book-matching and the like, not face
sheets like for ply, of course.

--
Wow I would like to see that!

Yeah, too bad when I was doing all that stuff lo! those many years ago
there wasn't such a thing as a cell phone with video capability;

No Kidding

somewhere in the depths of the storage/moving boxes are photos, but
those haven't been unpacked since the move back to the farm in 2000...

I miss analog/film, except for that part. ;~)

I don't miss analog film. I'm doing so much better now than if I had stayed
at the big yellow box. The kick in the butt they gave me (and 60K+ others)
was the best thing they could do for me.

They expected film to be their cash cow forever while other imaging companies
were leaving them in the dust. In reality, it was great for me that they were
so stubborn/short sighted.