Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Burning logs in open fires

On 06/03/2018 19:41, Huge wrote:
On 2018-03-06, wrote:
We have a large open fireplace with a cast iron fire basket, but we only
burn logs so I'm considering whether to remove the basket so we can let
a layer of ash build up on the fire brick base and burn on that. Any
comments from those who burn logs in open fires?

So long as you restrict the supply of air from underneath, it won't make
any difference. I used to put a layer of cooking foil in the bottom
of the fire basket to stop the ash from leaking out when we burned logs
in an open fire in our last house.

I guess that's what I was wondering - I believe a supply of air from
underneath is needed for coal but not for wood, but does having it cause
the wood to burn more quickly?

But, TBH, I'd put in a log-burning stove. Since we moved and acquired
one (well, two, actually), I'd never go back to an open fire. Our wood
consumption fell about 90% ...

We've got wood burners in two other rooms, but this is a "feechur"
fireplace so I'm told it's not to be converted.