Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which make of Consumer Unit?

On 06/03/18 15:00, wrote:
Are there any reasons to choose one make over another?
I need a split amd3 board with one section RCD protected, one section of
RCBOs and a few unprotected MCBs for sheds and other things with their
own RCDs - probably a total of 14 circuits. Without any reason to choose
a particular manufacturer I'm drawn towards MK because I've got a few MK
MCBs - is there a good reason to choose a different manufacturer?

Hager is very solid and the range of devices is excellent. Also you are
less likely to find you can't buy a new MCB or RCBO that fits (properly)
in 10 years time like one crap brand I had dealings with.

If you can stump up the dosh, consider going all RCBOs - it's a superior
system to a couple of RCDs.

You can't have "unprotected" MCBs for anything much now - all sockets
need to be RCD protected and unless you are cunning with the cabling,
the routing of that tends to demand RCD protection.

One thing you could consider (what I did) as 14 circuits is a lot and
clearly some of yours are external:

Take a 40A +/- RCBO circuit to a secondary CU nearer where your external
circuits go (possibly even an external building if that makes sense to
run on from there) and populate that with MCBs.

Keeps the clutter down in the main CU and does save a bit of dosh by
putting several non critical external circuits on one RCBO.

Of course, if you have critical stuff outside (eg freezer) this makes no
sense...