Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Common Hardwood Floor Wood

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 20:42:31 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 3/4/2018 5:52 PM, Meanie wrote:
I plan to finish my stairs this summer (remove carpet and add treads &
risers) and want to match my hardwood floor at bottom of stairs (main
floor). I'm far from an expert at identifying wood species but think my
hardwood floors are red oak. I do know when I had the floors redone
years ago they use a honey maple stain. The home was built in 1949, what
type of wood do you think they would have used?

Here is a picture I took of an item on the floor which may help
identify. Disregard the item.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Thank you

Ok, it appears the consensus is mainly oak, perhaps red and some white.
Perhaps I will purchase one red and one white oak board, stain it and
see what matches best.

Thank you all for the help.

With as much color variation as there is in that floor "matching" it
will be a "moving target"!!