Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Common Hardwood Floor Wood

On 3/5/18 7:02 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 16:21:11 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/4/2018 5:52 PM, Meanie wrote:
I plan to finish my stairs this summer (remove carpet and add treads &
risers) and want to match my hardwood floor at bottom of stairs (main
floor). I'm far from an expert at identifying wood species but think my
hardwood floors are red oak. I do know when I had the floors redone
years ago they use a honey maple stain. The home was built in 1949, what
type of wood do you think they would have used?

Here is a picture I took of an item on the floor which may help
identify. Disregard the item.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Thank you

Oak is very common here and some look like red oak, but a couple of
boards I'm not so sure. Maybe take a better photo or two?

+1

Some of the boards have "rays" that look red oakish, some don't. Is
it possible it's a mix of red and white oak? Some of the boards have
the longer rays, like white oak.

That's what I saw, too. Especially in the additional photos.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--