Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Common Hardwood Floor Wood

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 16:21:11 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/4/2018 5:52 PM, Meanie wrote:
I plan to finish my stairs this summer (remove carpet and add treads &
risers) and want to match my hardwood floor at bottom of stairs (main
floor). I'm far from an expert at identifying wood species but think my
hardwood floors are red oak. I do know when I had the floors redone
years ago they use a honey maple stain. The home was built in 1949, what
type of wood do you think they would have used?
Here is a picture I took of an item on the floor which may help
identify. Disregard the item.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/
Thank you

Oak is very common here and some look like red oak, but a couple of
boards I'm not so sure. Maybe take a better photo or two?

I can't tell much fom those photos either.
The wide variations in grain and colour make me think
of more modern hardwood flooring - not rustic - which includes lots
of defects and rough spots - but the next grade ?
The oak floors in my first home - tiny 1959 bungalow -
that I resurrected from under the carpeting, in 1982 - had quite
uniform colour & grain, with just a few small spots that were off -
- it looked real sweet after a colonial maple ? stain and
a satin urethane.
Perhaps the OP's 1949 house was previously re-floored ?
or maybe it was built from various home-sawn materials ?
... just a thought.
John T.