Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Name this knob

On 03/05/2018 03:51 AM, wrote:
On Monday, 5 March 2018 03:41:43 UTC, wrote:

None of this bull**** will do any good in nature. I am in the middle of
the woods and dont have any tools. I want to measure the distance
between two huge bolders. All I have to do is take off my shoes, begin
by the first bolder and put one foot in front of my other foot until I
get to the second bolder. After 32 foot steps, I arrive at bolder #2. I
now know that the distance between those bolders is 32 FEET.
How much more natural is that? The human body has a built in measuring
device. You dont need no goddamn slide rules and computers to determine
the earth's rotation or any of that nonsense. Just use the FEET that you
got when you were born.

However, if you want to cheat, and measure 60 inches with your tape
measure, you have a 15 hand horse. (5 foot tall). One hand is considered
to be 4 inches.

If I want to measure walkable distances without tools, which occasionally happens, I use yards or metres. Human feet are seldom a foot long.

Don't think I ever met a grown person with 4" hands.

The 'hand' is the width of the palm, not the finger span.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs