Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Thames Water.

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Lots round here have been without water for 3 days now. Thames Water (in
part) blaming it on increased demand after the thaw. Interesting theory -
do people water their garden just after the snow goes?

There are other reasons than watering the garden for using more water. The
waste pipe to our bath froze up. (possibly caused by a dripping tap) So no
baths for 3 days. Other people wouldn't have had baths because their
boilers failed and they ddin't want cold baths.

Water pressure here has been poor for ever. To keep leaks down from the
ancient infrastructure. Perhaps it is time Thames Water was privatized so
they can raise money for investment. Or have I got that wrong? ;-)

Yes - the cold was sufficient to freeze some underground mains - which
burst - certainly in Sussex and Kent.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England