Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default go to wood selection for thin application

On 3/4/2018 11:01 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
On 3/2/2018 10:32 PM, Bill wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

for making a frequent use item using thin wood what are some typical
wood selections

think something like a book cover

oak comes to mind first but oak is dense and heavy

a ply might work but wood would look best for this use

Ply might be more stable too, at small thickness. Leather might be an
interesting substitute to consider.

Years ago I bought a bag of assorted small plywood pieces at a hobby store.
Some of it was very thin maybe 3/32" or so. The quality was very good.
It reminded me of some aircraft grade plywood I'd seen years earlier.
Formica won't work?

As model aircraft plywood goes, 3/32" is pretty thick stuff. You can
readily buy 3-ply birch ply down to 0.4mm (1/64") if you feel the need
although I've never seen a model design that required anything so thin.

https://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ply.htm