Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Baltic Birch and that outer stuff

On 3/3/2018 8:57 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 2/26/18 2:44 PM, Leon wrote:

And yes 4x8 sheets of 9 ply all birch inner and outer veneer can be had
but is costly.Â* As I mentioned above the 1/2", 4x8 Baltic birch plywood
is $50 per sheet or $1.56 per square foot.Â* I can get regular 1/2", 5x5
Baltic Birch for $21 per sheet or 84 cents per square foot.Â* That is
darn near half the price per square foot as the larger sheet.

Never againÂ* for this purpose...

That jives with the 5x5 1/2" BB prices I've seen at the nearest HW
dealer. The "real" stuff is fantastic to work with, but I have had a few
sheets that developed slight bowing. My biggest gripe is the variance in
thickness lot-to-lot can be rather extreme.

I'm still amazed at how a tree can be peeled so perfectly like that. It
just don't seem right 8^)

-BR

Yeah, a very sharp knife on a lathe like machine. Little waste!