Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Baltic Birch and that outer stuff

On 2/26/18 2:44 PM, Leon wrote:

And yes 4x8 sheets of 9 ply all birch inner and outer veneer can be had
but is costly. As I mentioned above the 1/2", 4x8 Baltic birch plywood
is $50 per sheet or $1.56 per square foot. I can get regular 1/2", 5x5
Baltic Birch for $21 per sheet or 84 cents per square foot. That is
darn near half the price per square foot as the larger sheet.

Never again for this purpose...

That jives with the 5x5 1/2" BB prices I've seen at the nearest HW
dealer. The "real" stuff is fantastic to work with, but I have had a few
sheets that developed slight bowing. My biggest gripe is the variance in
thickness lot-to-lot can be rather extreme.

I'm still amazed at how a tree can be peeled so perfectly like that. It
just don't seem right 8^)

-BR