Michael Burr

Default Cabinet Installation Advice Needed

Michael Roback wrote:
Want to check something out here! I had a "cabinet maker/finish carpenter"
install some kitchen cabinets. When I looked at the hanging ledgers I
noticed that he had drilled about 5-6 holes through the cabinet for every
connection point until he found the stud. When asked why he didn't use a
stud finder, he replied ... they don't work. Why he didn't nail pilot nails
in the wall so all I would have is nail holes to spackle I don't know?

Like many contractors he was lazy and after the max $ in the
least amount of time. Finding and marking studs is not that
hard. He just didn't want to put the time in to do it. Our
cabinets were hung with 1 screw in the proper place every time -
but I took it upon myself to locate and mark all studs.

Bottom line though is that there is probably not that much that
you can do about it at this point - maybe small claims if you
can prove his workmanship is *substantially* outsite of the
industry norm. But even then you'ld have to prove some damages
and aestetics doesn't get much respect in court IMHO. It's
probably more of an aestetics issue than a structural one.

Make sure everyone you know hears about his sloppy work. Word
of mouth is probably your only recourse.

Michael