Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Maplin meltdown

On 28/02/18 13:07, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/02/2018 12:13, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 28/02/18 10:59, John Smith wrote:
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit
pricey in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries,
and some bits you need urgently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Recovery...

Â* Shut half the shops.
Â* Focus more on selling project stuff than items of instant
enlightenment,
Â* Remove all the shelves to the back, think argos/screwfix/toolsatan
Â* Stretch a counter across the branch,
Â* Enter a components distribution partnership with Farnell/CPC/RS,
Â* Sponsor staff to take electronic/electrical training,
Â* Support the maker community with competitive pricing,
Â* Support the PC builder community with competitive pricing.

Don't turn into Tandy MkII

Much of that describes what it was like walking into the Westcliff shop
in 1980! A few things on display to look at. Loads of built up synth
kits / speakers / amps etc in the window, and a pair of (new and
exciting) Atari 400 / 800 computers surrounded by a swarm of kids trying
to get a look in. The rest of the shop packed with people waiting to be
served in a kind of "open all hours" shop environment - staff behind the
counter going off and collecting the bits of your order before
presenting it all in a taped up plastic bag at the end.

I was living in Leigh on Sea when that shop opened. There was a sort of
magic: we'd never had a shop quite like that before and what's more, it
wasn't in London, it was in our neighbourhood. Unfortunately, several of
the local second-hand radio junk shops in Westcliff closed shortly
after. The business actually started in a private house around the
corner from my in-laws in Rayleigh.

Nick